What is Indefinite Leave to remain?

Indefinite leave to remain means you can live in the UK without having any immigration control. If you have ILR there is no longer any time limit on your ability to stay in the UK. It is the status that you can obtain in different ways.

When can I apply for Indefinite Leave to remain?

There are different possible ways to obtain Indefinite leave to remain. When you can apply for ILR depends on your own personal immigration circumstances.

IS ILR same as citizenship?

ILR and citizenship are not the same thing. Both ILR and British citizenship allow you to stay in the UK permanently. However, there are some differences regarding the rights granted under ILR and British citizenship. A British citizen may have more rights than an individual holding ILR.

I am a British Citizen. Can I bring my family to the UK?

Yes, you can bring your family in the UK if you are a British citizen provided that you fulfilled the conditions of the Home Office. There are some financial requirements and English language requirements that you and your family need to fulfil before obtaining an entry clearance.

How long does it take to get the British passport after ILR?

Typically, you have to wait for 12 months to apply for naturalisation and then your first British passport. Naturalisation is the process where an individual is declared as a British citizen after fulfilling the requirements set by the Home office. If you are a souse of a British citizen, you do not need to wait 12 months and can apply for naturalisation at any time after obtaining ILR status provided you have fulfilled 3-year residence requirement.

What are good character requirements for naturalisation?

‘Good character requirement’ are the mandatory requirements that an individual must satisfy to be naturalised as a British citizen. There are factors that are considered by Home office before naturalisation to assess an applicant’s character including criminality, international crime, terrorism, financial soundness, dishonesty, immigration related matters and more on.

What happens if I lost my BRP?

You can apply for a replacement BRP to the Home office if you are in the UK. The fee and how you apply depend on your immigration status.

I want to employ worker from outside the UK. How can I do it?

Generally, to employ someone outside of UK, you must apply for a sponsor licence to the Home office first. This is also applicable for the citizens of EU and EEA. Your business has to be eligible, the job has to be suitable for the licence. There are different types of licenses you can apply for and this depends on what type of worker you want to employ.

Where we are

101E Peel House, 34-44 London Road Morden Surrey SM4 5BT

020 3773 5166

020 3773 5167


Nkem Obianyor

Avista represented my husband and I in purchasing and selling our homes. Their services were swift, clear and supportive. I would highly recommend them.1

Jarifmorshed Joy

Alhamdulillah I've successfully received my student visa for MBA at York St John University and a huge shout out to AVISTA SOLICITORS and specially they guiding me through all the ups and downs with

mingyong liu

Very good service from Saha


The staff at Avista Solicitors were absolutely amazing in helping my family- they were kind, helpful and supportive throughout and helped us to win the case. I would highly recommend Avista to anyone

Emiliya Bozhanova

steve orme

Fast, precise and comprehensive conveyancing legal service. Will use again and would recommend

Mark Moss

Very helpful with preparing wills for my wife and myself

Bijit Roy

I am extremely satisfied with Avista Solicitors' service. They have dealt with my matter professionally, effectively and promptly. I highly recommend their services.